Saturday, March 26, 2005

Link Round Up

A note - Blogger will be offline for a while tomorrow afternoon for system upgrades - which I hope will reduce the problems some of you have encountered while trying to leave comments and that have now and again prevented bloglet updates from going out.

I've been adding links slowly to the site but thought I might be at the point where some introductions were in order. I'm not going to bother to put the links in this post since you can find all of them on my site easily enough.

In order of appearance:

Salon - the premier online magazine of politics and culture. You have to subscribe, or you can get a day pass and view the contents for free. This is one of the only publications, print or otherwise, that I subscribe to. I recommend it highly.

One A Day: for those studying Chinese, "One A Day" offers a daily proverb for your study, in both simplified and traditional characters.

Peking Duck: one of the best blogs on China (and American politics) out there, and my inspiration for starting this blog.

Hullabaloo: a great political blog. Digby is an excellent writer whose posts are consistently worthwhile. I believe he won this year's Koufax award (best lefty blogs) for best individual blog.

James Wolcott: Vanity Fair's Wolcott is scathing, hilarious, concise.

Running Dog: excellent China news blog, high snark factor keeps it entertaining.

Asia Times: excellent internet publication based in Hong Kong, with in-depth reporting on Asia and elsewhere - some fine Iraq stories, for example.

eastsouthwestnorth: another great blog focusing on China but with other news of interest. ESWN has had to cut down his site somewhat - too much time and bandwidth - but still offers plenty of fresh, interesting content.

Sinosplice: this Shanghai-based blog focuses on living in China and Chinese language (a recent hilarious post details the less than precise Chinese subtitling of the film "Closer," for example). John also provides a truly heroic list of China-related blogs - I don't know how he keeps up.

Booman Tribune: a new political blog started by a group of Daily Kos contributors who wanted a little more room to stretch out. Booman preserves the quality of much of Kos' political posts and adds a more personal, communal vibe. I'm cross-posting some of my stuff over there. And I always learn something new when I check in.

Real History: a look behind the headlines, at news that doesn't get covered in the mainstream media by an expert in the Kennedy assasinations.

Child of Illusion: well-written, thoughtful blog focusing on environmental issues and their social impact.

Flogging the Simian: I've just added this one, so I don't know it well yet - the author is a regular contributor at Kos and Booman. She lives in Romania and has an encyclopedic knowledge of...well, just about every country in the world from my brief persual. She posts news round ups that cover stories you might not read elsewhere.

Along the Journey: a hard blog to characterize, the author, a Canadian, writes about writing, about the nature of blogs and about crossing cultures.

I hope this round up motivates you to check out some of these fine sites. I'll be adding more links in the future...and yes...I sense the organizing of these links into categories will occur in the near future...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
You may like to read this from the link below...seem very interesting...

Vidal: "As far as I'm concerned, the only sort of proto- or crypto-Nazi I can think of is yourself. Failing that, I'll only say that we can't have--"

Buckley: "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in the goddamn face and you'll stay plastered."

http://citypages.com/databank/26/1268/article13085.asp

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Sorry for triple posting, you can delete the other two posts, they showed in the preview page that part of the link was missing.

Other Lisa said...

Dear JR,

Thanks for the link - someone else sent it to me and I forgot to read it. I'll definitely check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
Thanks for the link. My blog is rather hard to categorize.

I'm a westernized chinese trying to figure out how to be a westerner and be a chinese. If that is even possible. With a toss in of books, faith, culture, technology, news topics, and definitely issues about China and Hong Kong. Will the Chinese people ever be free from the yoke of the CCP?

I think I'll go put that now on my website. Thanks!

Other Lisa said...

Dear Joanne,

Actually the link to your blog has been up for a while, since I wrote about your blog I think...but I wanted to call attention to it again and all the other great sites I've linked to.

I guess whether you can be a westerner and chinese at the same time rather depends on how you are defining both westerner and chinese, eh?

Anonymous said...

Yes. and what is that definition.

It's easier for me to define 'westerndom', I think. Being Chinese has only negative connotations (sp?) at this point... except for the BBQ pork buns, dumplings, and other tasty treats. :)

As soon as I find 1 good point about being Chinese... (other than the food), I'll go blog it. Stereotypes don't count. :)

I don't want to 'publish' my email address, but if you email me via my website (it won't get published either)... perhaps I could make a suggestion. :)